As I mentioned before, I have a little notebook that I keep a record of the computer tips that work for me and how I solved my computer problems. Here is a random list of some of the recent entries:
- To add a Youtube video to a Blogger blog, copy and paste the embed code associated with the video.
- Buy a child’s mouse for both children and older people. The mouse is bigger and a little easier to maneuver.
- If you write a blog, keep a journal or spreadsheet of both the titles you’ve written about and any that you plan to do.
- If you add a video to WordPress and it doesn’t show up, you may need to click ‘publish’ first.
- To add audio to WordPress with the audio plugin, you have to be in Visual Mode, not HTML. You also need to save it first. If the audio still won’t work, try a different theme.
- If you have too many files on your computer, try organizing them into topic related folders. If you are doing a special project, all of the files related to that project should be kept together in one folder.
- If you set up a template in Open Office, you can write your manuscript or report and with one click, turn it into a PDF file.
- Taking a family trip? Print off all of the possible places to visit and plan your itinerary before you go.
- Keep up with friends and family in other countries by using the chat feature in Facebook. Agree on a time and have a live conversation rather than posting an update.
- Family member can’t make it to your special event? Take a group shot and then use photo editing software to add them to the picture.
- My photos only showed as icons and since they weren’t all labeled, it was pretty hard to find what I wanted. To fix that, I had to go into my Pictures folder, click ‘Tools’, then ‘Folder Options’ and make sure the box beside “always show icons, never thumbnails” isn’t checked off. You want to see your thumbnails and I always did before. Not sure why my picture view suddenly changed.
- When sending the same email to a group, you can create a group in Outlook Express. But if the ‘Create Contact Group’ option doesn’t show up on your contacts page, this is what you do: After opening the contacts list, right click on the open space on the top right side and select ‘customize this folder’. Then choose ‘Contacts’ from the drop down and click ‘okay’.
- If you have trouble playing MP4 videos, right click and try again with the Windows Media Player instead.
There you have it. A baker’s dozen of the computer problems I’ve managed to solve, although in some cases it took me hours to do it. Which is why I write the solutions down for the next time I need help.
What computer tips have you learned lately? We’d love to know.